Canadians are finding less and less time to relax and enjoy all the small things that make life so precious.
This is in accordance to the findings published by the Canadian Index of Wellbeing, last Tuesday.
The report, entitled, “Caught in the Time Crunch: Time Use, Leisure and Culture in Canada,” claims that non-standard work hours, increased caregiving for the elderly and technology’s firm grasp on our personal lives has diminished the idle time available to Canadians.
An increase in non-standard work hours, means Canadians are more likely to have small blocks of idle time that are less likely to coincide with the free time of friends and family. Evening work hours are especially damaging to the family dynamic.
With the baby-boomers in full retirement mode, more and more middle-aged adults are having to care for their aging parents. This too, is taking away from the time professionals could be spending with their children or relaxing on their own.
But the real killer affecting society is the technological umbilical chord connecting us 24 hours a day to our jobs; thank you Blackberry, for the subtle reminder that in today’s world, data sharing is much more important than simple experiences like exploring nature.
So what do we do to stop the trend?
Here are Simmons Mattress Gallery’s top 5:
1. Have a time every evening when you turn off your work phone; not for an hour or two, but for the rest of the night. Make this time as early as possible.
2. Consider a job-share program with a co-worker. This would allow you to spend more time with your family or your own, quietly enjoying a book or a glass of wine. It would also mean a less extravagant yearly vacation and maybe a budget tweak.
3. Look into retirement homes. Yes, they cost a fortune, but it’s money you can spare and hopefully your parents are lucky enough to have a pension. It doesn’t mean you love them any less. They will understand.
4. Petition the government to upgrade employment standards. The message will be heard if the volume is there. Feel free to quote this article or the report itself.
5. Buy a new bed. It will help you secure the rest you need to operate during your busy day. Simmons Mattress Gallery is a great place to start your search. Find a little bit of time between the crunch and come check out our stock. And bring the kids. And maybe the parents too.