This week we came across a list in the Huffington Post of the top sleep quotes. We narrowed the list to ten and added a few comments of our own:
10. “People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have one.” – Leo J. Burke
- So true. We sympathize with new parents and their constant fight to secure prolonged shut-eye. Here is a great article on sleep tips for parents with newborns.
9. “There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled.” – Ovid
- We didn’t know Ovid was such a fan of the wobbly-pops. But we definitely agree with his statement. When given the option of retiring to your bed, or staying up for one more nightcap, always go with the latter. You’ll thank us in the morning.
8. “Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man [or woman] healthy, wealthy, and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin
- It’s been consistently proven that a solid sleep schedule improves your health, your potential at work and your cerebral processing.
7. “Never waste any time you can spend sleeping.” -Frank H. Knight
- We’re looking at you, Late Night Talk Shows.
6. “Eat Healthily, sleep well, breathe deeply, move harmoniously.” – Jean-Pierre Barral
- Pretty sure the first three are the pillars of a happy life. The last one, well, why not. Who doesn’t like to skip down the sidewalk.
5. “There is a time for many words, and there is also a time for sleep.” - Homer
- Said the man whose prose ran on for days…
4. “Sleep is the best meditation.” – Dalai Lama
- You can quote this line next time you fall asleep in class.
3. “It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterward.” -Baltasar Gracian
- This had us slightly confused at first, but after a short nap, it made total sense.
2. “[Sleep is] the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.” – Thomas Dekker
- ‘Gold’ seems to be a theme this week. A big shout out to all the Olympians who participated in the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi.
1. “Renew your estranged relationship with sleep – you will be more productive, more effective, more creative, and more likely to enjoy your life.” – Arianna Huffington
- A nod of the cap to the Huffington Post for their inspiring list.
And one bonus line:
“At Simmons Mattress Gallery, we’re here to help you sleep better.”